Friday, July 15, 2011

How Do You Respond To Stimuli?

Luke Ford writes:

“Nobody knew what to do with his brain,” said a 1982 classmate of mine at Placer High School. “He was so hyper-verbal.”

I often don’t know what to do with myself. I guess I should take comfort in other people not knowing what to do with me either.

My high school journalism adviser Bob Burge (in my senior year, I was the editor of the school newspaper) wrote in my 1984 yearbook: “Luke, I remember when you first joined the Messenger staff, I gave anyone permission to strangle you at any time, including me. Can you believe that after three years I haven’t had to resort to that? They have been three exciting, lively years to say the least. But I must compliment you for at least one thing. In 17 years of teaching I have never had another student challenge me and keep me on my toes as much as you did. If I have challenged you to remain calm in the face of disaster and to be a gentleman and a journalist, then we have both gained.”

Damn, did he see me clearly!



No comments: