Monday, January 14, 2008

Asheville company is manufacturing powerful computers

Anne writes:

Sigler and his wife, Kellie Sigler, started Lumenlab in 2003, when they became interested in supplying do-it-yourself parts for video projectors. The couple started importing projector parts, such as lens and lighting equipment, and selling them online. Then Grayson Sigler designed and built a video projector, the eVo, which he described as an “upgradeable DIY projector.”

The demand for the eVo, which the Siglers advertised only on the Internet, grew to the point that Sigler asked his brother and sister-in-law, Tracy Sigler and Mary Earle-Sigler, to join the business a little more than a year ago. At the same time, the family moved the business from Virginia to Asheville.

The Sigler brothers then set up a production facility in Chingdu, China, to make the video projectors, and they sold more than 2,250 in just a few months. Then the projectors started coming back to Lumenlab for repairs, and the Siglers realized they had a quality control problem. Every penny the business had made from the projectors and more went back into repair and reimbursement for the faulty projectors, Grayson Sigler said.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My three projectors I have gotten from lumenlab.com have been faulty units (as in not turning on). The first projector I received was working fine for 2 months (three weeks projector use time) at most. then, while it was on a circuit blew up. I could hear a capacitor or transistor explode and found the residue pieces of the capacitor or resistor in the projector. I received my new projector 2 months later (6 months waiting time). That projector stopped turning on the lamp and also had a ballast problem after a month. Mind you, I was not keeping this on all of the time but watching 2 or 3 movies at a time and turning it off for the day. I finally got my "repaired" projector back and I say "repaired" because they sent me yet a nother brand new one. I open the box, plug it in, and it wont turn on! The manual says it is a ballast or circuit bored error. I have called tech support and have found that most of there ballast have been faulty (85%).

the truth is that I would just like a refund and they insist that that is not possible because I have purchased the thing before a full refund can be given (a week after the unit was purchased). the projector has been with me for 3 months. 1 month operating time at most (over estimating here) and the rest of the 9-10 months in the shop puss shipping time.

If you plan to buy from this "company" don't expect to get something that works or any good ethical busyness practices. just a warning and a headache you would rather do without.